Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Under the Radar Guys for Fantasy 2008

In my last post, I gave you 5 players to avoid in your NFL fantasy draft this summer. When I did my players to avoid, I looked at their statistics from last year and researched the most recent news on those players. Before my draft, I also come up with a longer list of 20-30 players that I like that might be flying under the radar for other fantasy owners. Normally, these players are drafted in later rounds, but end up as starters as the season moves into October and November. I mark these guys off as they are drafted and look for them if they fall through the cracks. The list is longer and more based on a gut feeling, a hunch, a loyalty based on past fantasy glory, or maybe a brief snippet of friendly conversation. Here are players that I like for 2008 and my quickie reasons for keeping an eye on them:

David Garrard is a quarterback that is not normally mentioned in the top two tiers of fantasy quarterbacks. The Jacksonville Jaguars are poised to have another great year. Garrard rarely makes turnovers to give him negative fantasy points. Last year, he was the starter, but I think the Jags protected him a little, but this year expect more passing attempts and more opportunities in the red zone. Garrard went 87th in my Atlanta league.

Donovan McNabb. I really, really wanted to draft McNabb in my Atlanta league. I had two scenarios for my quarterback situation. Fortunately, one of the guys in the league took Peyton Manning in the 1st round and I was able to draft Tony Romo as my quarterback with the 13th pick. If Romo were gone, I was taking a running back and waiting for McNabb. If he is healthy, he is going to have a monster season. I see him staying healthy for at least the first 10 games of the season before wearing down. McNabb went 45th in ATL draft.

Matt Forte is the starting running back for the Chicago Bears. I know I have never heard of him either. The Bears just announced that Kyle Orton is their starter. That will last about 2 weeks. Forte is young and he will get plenty of carries. To me, after Devin Hester, Forte is the Bears’ second scoring option in the red zone. Inside the 5 yard line, he is the only option. Forte went 70th in my draft which seemed pretty low. I passed on him to take Selvin Young from the Denver Broncos.

Fred Taylor, Jacksonville. I never have liked Fred Taylor, but this year is different. Taylor is going to have a solid fantasy year. He definitely is a solid option as a 2nd or 3rd fantasy back. Splitting carries with Maurice Jones-Drew has helped Taylor stay healthy. In the games I saw last year, he ran hard. He will hit the hole in the middle and gain yards. Jones-Drew breaks long runs for touchdowns, but Taylor is tougher near the goal line. He also is a capable receiver that will get receptions from screens and swings in the Jaguars’ conservative passing game. Taylor went 68th in ATL draft.

Chester Taylor is Adrian Peterson’s back up in Minnesota. Taylor has value in the fact that Peterson has a history of injury. I think Minnesota coach Brad Childress will use Taylor to share carries with Peterson. Childress also will get Taylor the ball in the passing game. Last year, Taylor was hurt, but he is very talented and elusive in the open field. On another team, he would be the starter. He has value as a later round pick or a higher pick as a cutout if you drafted Peterson in the 1st round. Chester went 81st.

Muhsin Muhammad, Carolina Panthers. Four years ago, Muhammad had a monster year in Carolina. Then, he signed for large dollars with the Chicago Bears. Of course, I picked him in Fantasy that year, and Muhammad was horrible. I do not blame him—I blame the horrible Bears’ offense. Now, after really wasting 3 seasons, he is back with Carolina and reunited with Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith. If Delhomme’s arm is strong enough, Moose should have a great year. He scored on a tough catch in the preseason action I saw. He is a big target in the end zone and uses his body to ward off defenders. Look for him to emerge as Delhomme’s go to guy in the middle of the field near the goal line. Surprisingly, Muhammad was not drafted in Atlanta league.

Ted Ginn, Miami Dolphins. I have to admit I am an Ohio State fan going back to the days of Doug Donley and Jim Karsatos. This year Ted Ginn drops the Junior and becomes a solid NFL player. Someone on the Dolphins has to score touchdowns, don’t they? Ginn will benefit from the toughness of the new coaching staff, from the improvement in the running game, and from the addition of quarterback Chad Pennington. Ginn was drafted 134th in my Atlanta league.

Other guys I like: Jerricho Cotchery, Darren McFadden, Michael Bush, Bobby Meachem (WR, New Orleans Saints), Rashard Mendenhall, Robbie Gould (Bears will score many, many field goals), the Jacksonville Defense (new coordinator Gregg Williams’ schemes will create turnovers), Santonio Holmes, Selvin Young, Tony Scheffler, Robert Royal (TE from Buffalo), and Chris Henry (WR for the Bengals—this guy scores touchdowns, but not a very nice guy!)

No comments: