Thursday, August 21, 2008

Fantasy Draft Diary - Dallas Edition

6:53 Fired up for the draft, but my wife is hungry. Going to cook in the hopes that she will go get me some beer. Made two giant egg and sausage sandwiches. The secret is to use a little Frank’s Red Hot to top off the sandwich. Also, cook the egg like an omelet with cheese, tomatoes, and onions.
7:39 Firing up the laptop. My wife sighs at my excitement, “oh my gosh, what is wrong with you”. Getting my draft materials together—a pen, a highlighter, 2007 statistics, my draft pick numbers, and my draft cheat sheet.
7:58 Turned the television to the Olympics. No cable right now and its killing me. Olympics have been great, but my favorite show is The Hills and I am missing LC, Audrina, and Whitney. Oh yeah, logged on to the draft site for my Dallas league. Oh no, Lawrence Tynes is having exploratory knee surgery! Immediately, guys start instant messaging and talking about their college girls and facebook friends. People, we are in our 30’s.
8:01 Costas just said something in Chinese. Ugh. The overhead shots of Beijing are unbelievable. Huge city. Hate that I already know what happens in the track events.
8:06 Misty May-Treanor just said that the Marlins’ pitchers in the bullpen were checking their cell phones during games to give her husband updates. Sad. No wonder the Marlins are dropping in the standings.
8:16 The draft is off without a hitch. Of course, the token Boston sports guy takes Tom Brady with the 3rd pick. He is a transplant that wears a Red Sox hat and strokes Sean McDonough and Jimmy Fallon.
8:22 Took Ryan Grant with the 9th pick--not sure about that one
8:27 Took Marshawn Lynch with the 16th pick. Wanted Peyton Manning, but a Dallas guy selected him just ahead of me.
8:30 Draft is slowing a bit--watching a McCain commercial that starts out with the words, “Washington is broken.” Haven’t the Republicans and McCain been running Washington for the last 6-8 years?
8:43 Why is Collinsworth here? Why is he such a dork? Wish I had his job! Costas just said that they should play beach volleyball in sweats, is he crazy? Would like to see Phil Dalhausser run a pass pattern and try to catch a ball on the move.
8:50 One of these guys just took Greg Jennings with the 34th pick. Wow, yeah I forgot with the 33rd pick I took Reggie Bush. Kim Kardashian could provide some excitement in the owner’s suite. Have a decision to make with pick #40. Go quarterback or wide receiver?
8:54 Tyson gay just dropped the baton, what? Doc Patton had to slow down--blame the rain. Tyson, you have to start running earlier. Tough Olympics for Mr. Gay.
8:59 Coke commercial rips off Johnny Cash. Just took Roethlisberger in Round 4. I am a Steelers fan, but really wanted Santonio Holmes. He was just taken in front of me. A theme might be developing. It was Big Ben or Wes Welker. Tough decision. Last year could have been a fluke for both.
9:12 Need a wide receiver, but the Dallas league always drafts WRs early. Lots of retreads left like Derrick Mason, Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, and Chris Chambers. Decide to take Coles or Cotchery. Cotchery is the choice. Maybe he is a deep threat and we never knew it! USA just dropped the baton in women’s 400 meter relay.
9:15 Justin Fargas just got drafted at #60 about 63 spots earlier than in my Atlanta league. Weird, wild, interesting.
9:19 Uh-oh panic time--watching the Olympics and blogging and clicked back. Had 45 seconds to make my pick. Wanted Shockey and figured he would be there, but the guy right in front of me picked him. Took Anthony Gonzalez with 64th pick. I had Marvin Harrison last year and his career is pretty much over, so Gonzalez should get more balls thrown his way.
9:26 Why is the USA logo handwritten on these track uniforms? How in the world is BMX a sport in the Olympics?
9:40 My wife wants me to take Santana Moss here. Never liked his game, but make the pick anyway. I am distracted by everyone taking defenses so early.
9:57 Took David Garrard as my back up quarterback. My wife is making milkshakes and she cannot get the blender to work. We just moved, so it might be damaged. We have never used it before. What is going on? I go over and get it to work. That might not have been the best idea, but I want a milkshake.
10:08 I just heard that I missed “a dive for the ages”. NBC already cut away and I do not know what happened or who made the dive.
10:25 Wish that I did not know what happened in this Men’s 400 meter final. This would have been a great, jump up and down race to watch, but at 9 am this morning someone at work told me Wariner lost. Congrats Lashawn Merritt.
10:47 This might be my worst fantasy draft ever. Took a flyer on Drew Bennett. What is this 5 years ago? Painful. This is a bad fantasy team. The good thing about wide receivers is that there will be surprises and I can get someone off the waiver wire.
10:54 Someone just took Alex Smith with pick # 169--is that a misprint?
11:06 Draft is over. Alas, milkshakes instead of beers. My last two picks were Kevin Boss and the Oakland Raiders defense. Am I even trying at this point? Very fast draft which is great. Some fun instant messages. USA men’s beach volleyball is in real trouble. This is great with no commercial interruptions. Is Dalhausser nervous? Good luck to everyone with their fantasy teams. Dallas league should be ultra competitive again this year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That Alex Smith comment may come back to haunt you...

Jack Bender said...

Wasn't J.T. O'Sullivan perfect last night? last time I looked a 158 quarterback rating was pretty good...