Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fantasy Wrap-Up - NFL Week 5

It seems that I am destined this year to be very average. I was 1-1 again this week in Fantasy Football and 7-7 in my NFL picks. That still leaves me at .500 for the year on picks versus the spread. Definitely, my best pick of the week was the Bengals to cover the spread against the hated Baltimore Ravens. I also picked Miami to win against the Jets.

In Fantasy games, I am making every wrong move with my roster in the Atlanta league. I dropped the Titans' defense and picked up the 49ers' defense. After the strong showing last year, the Titans have been terrible this year. The 49ers looked like a steal and a good start at home against Atlanta. Wrong. The 49ers put a -7 points on the board which seems impossible. The Falcons totally dominated that game.

To make matters worse, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Forte had bye weeks. I was forced to start Matt Cassel and Larry Johnson of the Chiefs. Cassel actually came through with a solid Fantasy game, but I was so uncomfortable with starting him I picked up Derek Anderson of the Browns and let go of WR Jeremy Maclin. Maclin had his best day of the year and Anderson had one of the worst games in the history of NFL quarterbacks. I think I jinxed him. My team is now 1-4 and in dead last in that league.

Luckily on draft day, I picked Peyton Manning in my Dallas league. I have never been a big fan and I had Peyton rated lower than a few other quarterbacks, but the QB I really wanted was gone when I picked. Lucky for me. Manning has carried me to a 3-2 record. One of those losses is somewhat disputed, so I feel pretty good about that team.

Peyton is on a bye this week and my back up plan is to start Mark Sanchez. I felt okay about that post waiver wire pick up last week, but with his performance last night and the addition of WR Braylon Edwards I like Sanchez this week. I need some other guys on the roster to step up to pick up the points lost with Manning on a bye.

This week I want to make some moves to make my Atlanta team better, but I do not see much out there. My team defense is awful, T.O. has killed me, and my running back situation is the worst in the league. I mean I actually picked up Mewelde Moore last week and thought about starting him against Detroit. That is really reaching for something in the distance...

No comments: