Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fantasy Wrap-Up - NFL Week 4

For whatever reason, the 1 pm NFL games this year are killing my picks. I struggled again out of the gate this week, but with the help of San Francisco, Pittsburgh, and Minnesota all covering the spread at home, I finished the week 7-7 to stay at .500 for the season.

This weekend I was cut off from my Internet access, but I was able to follow the games and scores on the radio on Sunday. It seemed like my players were putting up some good numbers. The Bears' Matt Forte even came through with a touchdown and over 120 total yards. I started Donald Brown of the Colts and he scored a touchdown, so I was feeling good before checking the scores of my two Fantasy games.

Of course, in my Atlanta league, I was getting killed. My opponent racked up over 100 points this week. That owner made a great pick up and start of Rashad Mendenhall of the Steelers. Mendenhall had a monster game against San Diego. I am a huge Steelers fans so it was hard to be upset with that outcome. In this league, I dropped to 1-3 on the year and I have major bye week roster problems. Good times.

In my Dallas league, I came into the Monday night game down 12 points, but I had Mason Crosby kicking for me. I drafted this guy because he can make 50-yard field goals. He was kicking in a dome to make me feel even a little more confident. Aaron Rodgers helped kill me. The Green Bay quarterback fumbled on the first possession in potential field goal range; and then on the second possession, Rodgers threw a terrible interception when the Packers were driving. To add insult to injury, Green Bay decided not to try to other potential field goals that would have given Crosby points.

This game was frustrating because I made a change late in the week to bench Hines Ward and to start Devin Hester against the Lions. I figured the Bears would score a ton of points and Hester might have a big game. It turned out he put up 0 points and Hines came through with a solid game for the Steelers. That move hurt.

During this week, I have major roster problems because of the byes. Right now, I have to start Matt Cassel at quarterback and I do not have a kicker on one team. I do get Tony Gonzalez back in my line-up and I figure to start Marshawn Lynch this week to hopefully solidify one running back situation, but this season could be me just donating money if I can't get a couple of big wins this week.

No comments: