Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Romo Dilemma

*Named in honor of the Prisoner’s Dilemma (check Wikipedia or several other sources for more information) in game theory, the Romo dilemma is a situation for Fantasy owners when one of your options is to start your franchise quarterback even though he likely is not the starter for the real game—what we have here is a developing situation kind of dilemma.

All last week, I was glued to the Tony Romo story, because Romo is my starting quarterback for my team the Dark Knights. This team is struggling and I need Romo. Fantasy owners know what I mean when I say “need”—there is a desperation there. I picked up Brad Johnson on the waiver wire with the idea that the Cowboys’ have enough weapons for him to score some Fantasy points. After reports that Romo did not practice on Friday, I made the change and started Johnson. All day Saturday, I was uncomfortable (think Sarah Palin in newly bought threads from Sak’s 5th Avenue standing between Alec Baldwin and Lorne Michaels on SNL) and looking at other scenarios.

Here was the process. I figured I had three options: start Johnson; gamble and start Romo; or pick up a 3rd quarterback who was guaranteed to start and play most of the snaps. Find someone on the Fantasy football scrap heap that no one in a competitive league has picked up all year. No really winning options--it kind of reminded me of when I had Bryant Westbrook. He never practiced and from week to week I never knew if he was going to play or not.

The number one option was to start Johnson and just hope that he played well. He has T.O., Crayton, Barber, Miles Austin, Roy Williams, uh oh. Okay, maybe he does not have that many offensive weapons, but Barber and T.O. can take short receptions and turn them into touchdowns. Plus, I figured the Cowboys for a huge lead. They could run the football and set up safe play-action passes against a lackluster Rams’ defense.

Secondly, I could start Romo. If Johnson started off badly or Dallas was behind, Romo might come in and work only out of the shotgun. Throw on every down and complete a ton of passes--Cinderella story, Favrian toughness, Don’t mess with Texas, Tony the Tiger, Brady with Midwestern grit, etc. The Cowboys win 27-21 in a stunningly close game. Romo writes another story in his march towards greatness, blah, blah, blah. In my Fantasy league, I look like a genius and add to my somewhat modest but growing legend. On Saturday while watching Texas play Missouri, I made the switch back to Romo, even though the reports were that Johnson would start.

Starting a guy in a Fantasy game that is not even starting in the real game makes no sense to me. Doing that goes against my Fantasy 101 pamphlet. During breakfast on Sunday, I switched back to Brad Johnson. (My regular back up is Kurt Warner who I stole with a very late draft pick. I had to endure the, Why are you drafting him? Leinart’s the starter…trash talk from a room of ten self-proclaimed football experts. It would have been perfect to play Warner except the Cardinals happen to be on their bye week.) So, about 90 minutes before game time, I was firmly behind Brad Johnson.

My third option was to pick up another available starting quarterback and start them for a one week stop-gap measure. In my league, the available quarterbacks likely to start and maybe to produce were Kerry Collins, Gus Frerotte, and Jeff Garcia. Collins had the best match up going against the Chiefs’ sad defense. You knew they were going to win, but would they even need to throw the football. When I thought for minute and could not name a starting wide receiver, I marked Collins off the list. Frerotte was intriguing for two reasons. He has a solid running game with Adrian Peterson. The Bears defense is a tough match-up, but they would probably sell out to stop Peterson. Also, the week before I had watched Matt Ryan pass for over 300 yards against the Bears. I was hesitant because I figured this game to be low scoring (turns out that was way off base). Bears versus Vikings in Chicago, the windy city. Weather could be a factor. Natural grass. Urlacher, Jared Allen. To me, those factors added together to get a low scoring defensive struggle.

So, I turned to Jeff Garcia. Garcia with solid stats led Tampa to a big win the week before against Carolina. The Bucs were playing in prime time at home against the Seahawks who are not very good. I already had picked up Warrick Dunn to plug into another bye week hole in the roster. I thought there was a better chance to for this game to be a high scoring affair. So, I added Garcia and dropped Brad Johnson. Johnson dropped all the way from Fantasy starter to free agent. Garcia ended up having the best game of any quarterback and he led me to a much needed, desperate come from behind win. However, now I have a mini-quarterback controversy on my hands with Garcia, Romo, and Warner on the roster.

Quick Slants:

Think about the difference in the reputation and character of Kellen Winslow, Sr. and Kellen Winslow, Jr. Winslow, Jr. may have a legitimate complaint about the staph infections that seem to infect Browns’ players, but his reputation is so low that most people will not even listen to him. I am old enough to remember the elder Winslow’s performance in the Chargers versus Dolphins playoff game. I am starting to have a bad case of nostalgia during these down economic times.

I am trying to grow my hair out and get the John Parker Wilson hair style. Not sure my wife or my boss is too happy about it, but you have to be committed to something.

Rodney Harrison is not a Hall of Famer. He is consummate professional and an impact player, but he also is an admitted cheater. If he is on your team, you defend him to the maximum. Everyone forgets he was suspended by the NFL for buying HGH.

No comments: