Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Quick Slants - Week 5

Waiver Wire:

If you are looking for someone to pick up this week to fill in for Big Ben, do not pick up Sage Rosenfels. After his total melt down against the Colts, he should be banished by Coach Kubiak for a few weeks. If you are desperate this week, take a hard look at three veteran QBs that are available in most leagues--Chad Pennington, Gus Frerotte, and Marc Bulger. I quickly am getting on the Miami Dolphins’ bandwagon. Pennington’s value is raised by the Dolphins’ commitment to the running game and the return to form of Ronnie Brown. Pennington always has spread the football around to many different receivers. He is capable of winning you a game when your #1 QB is on a bye week. Frerotte benefits from the running game as well. Maybe the bright lights of Monday Night Football are clouding my judgment, but Frerotte reminded me of Kyle Orton this week. The one drawback is that in no way can you count on Bernard Berrian playing well each week. As for Bulger, a few years back he led my team to a Fantasy title in the Kellen Winslow Friendship League. He has a Fantasy kryptonite quality. He could be good or he could be out of the lineup in a few weeks.

Everyone is going to jump on DeAngelo Williams this week. If you can get him, he is a great pick up. The Williams and Johnathan Stewart backfield combination for Carolina is going to be productive all year. Depending on the week, these guys are going to be splitting carries and Fantasy points. Both running backs are solid #2 options. The second running back to take a hard look at this week is Kevin Faulk of the Patriots. I still am a Patriots’ doubter and I actually dropped Faulk last week, but if Moss plays hard and is a deep threat, the field is opened up for the running backs.

At wide receiver, the choices are pretty slim. Slot receivers might be the way to go, but do not count on these guys to carry you to wins. Wes Welker is going to start being a bigger factor for the Patriots. If Royal is hurt for Denver, take a chance on Brandon Stokely. I think Cutler likes throwing between the numbers and Stokely will play a bigger role if Royal is out for extended time. My favorite pick up is still Antwaan Randle El. He should get more targets as teams double Santana Moss and Chris Cooley. Finally, a guy way off the radar is Mike Walker of Jacksonville. Garrard has few people to throw to and Walker is a big target downfield.

My Fantasy teams are struggling at the Tight End and Defense position. I have been searching for answers all year. Defensively, I had to pick up the Falcons and the Jets to try to fill spots and get some points. Clearly, I am not comfortable going into games with these defenses. Basically, I have given up on the tight end position. I guess take a shot at Alge Crumpler. Maybe, Justin Peelle from Atlanta. O-Coordinator Mike Mularkey likes to use the tight end especially in the red zone. The Falcons scored on a great 4th down play against Green Bay when Peelle sprinted across the back of the formation and into the flat. Keep in mind, I live in ATL and am forced to watch the Falcons, so that may bias my analysis of Peelle.

My kicker strategy is to carry only one on the roster. This week my guy Rob Bironas is on a bye, so I have to pick someone up. In this situation, I like going with Janikowski. He is capable of making a couple of 50 yarders. After this week, I drop the new guy and go back to Bironas.

State of the Union: The interest in these debates is incredible. I have watched all three without changing the channel. My wife and I usually watch CNN. McCain looked old. I really liked Soledad O’Brien’s shoes on Tuesday night. When she is in Columbus for these debates, I wonder what cool bars she frequents.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello,

I've been reading your stuff for several weeks now and you have some solid insight on these pieces.

My name is Collin Hager and I'm the Fantasy Sports Community Leader on BleacherReport.com. I'm unsure if you're a writer there or not, but I think you would be a solid addition to our fantasy sports team.

Bleacher Report is an open-source community network that accepts contributions from the everyday fan. Your perspective would be a welcome addition.

Please check the site out and let me know if you have any questions.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Collin Hager
elmhurstpubroundtable@yahoo.com