Friday, January 16, 2009

NFL - Conference Championship Games

My Picks

Eagles -4 @Cardinals – Cardinals

Last week, I just had a feeling that the Cardinals were going to win that game and I actually picked them to win. Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald are the best passing combination left in the playoffs. The Arizona crowd was a factor in the Wild Card round against Atlanta and the crowd will be even louder this week. If I were an Eagles fan, I would be worried about Brian Westbrook. He struggled last week and now he is not practicing again. Westbrook was the best player on the field when these teams played on Thanksgiving Day. With Edgerrin James running hard, Tim Hightower, and J.J. Arrington, I think the Cardinals have the better running backs at this point. The Cards are way better at wide receiver. Eagles’ safety Brian Dawkins is the X factor. He has been all over the field in their last four games. The Eagles defense is better, but the Cardinals are athletic on that side of the football. In the playoffs, the Cardinals have beaten the better teams. The biggest key is if Kurt Warner has some time to throw the football. I think he will. Look for Warner to have a big day and to pass for over 300 yards in an amazing, improbable Cardinals victory, 31-21.

@ Steelers -6 Ravens – Steelers

Although I think this spread is way too high for this third match up of the season, I am sticking with the Steelers. In the previous two games this season between these teams, the Steelers won on a field goal in overtime and on a questionable touchdown call by the officials in the final minutes of the game. The teams could not have played much closer. I am picking the Steelers because I give them the edge over the Ravens in several areas. The Steelers are better at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, and tight end. The Ravens’ offensive line is better.

On the defensive side of the ball, I think the teams are even except that Baltimore has a better secondary. In the Special Teams phase, I give a slight advantage to the Ravens, but I like Jeff Reed over Matt Stover, because of how tricky it is to kick longer field goals at Heinz Field. Reed has a 50-yarder at Heinz and I think that is way out of Stover’s range at this point in his career. The cold weather will not affect either team. After watching the Ravens play the Titans, the Steelers can run the football on this team. The Titans moved the football up and down the field, but their turnovers killed them. Look for the Steelers to limit turnovers, score a few touchdowns, and win this game, 27-13.


Playoff Picks: 6-2
Regular Season Picks: 134-114-8
Fantasy Player Picks: 90-62-5

No comments: